We believe there's a need to increase public awareness and understanding of the importance of geology in our lives. We've developed this page to make earth science learning fun, intriguing, and meaningful. We encourage you to browse these resources, and send any comments or suggestions to the CGS content manager.
- CGS Notes contain answers to commonly asked questions about California's geology. There are Notes about California's state gem (benitoite), state fossil (sabertoothed cat), state mineral (gold), state rock (serpentinite), and more.
- Teacher Feature geology articles - Written for educators and their students.
- Gold - The discovery of gold on January 24, 1848 by James Marshall at Sutter's Sawmill on the South Fork of the American River started a bonanza that brought California global fame and gave it the title of the 'Golden State.'
- Glossary of rock and mineral terminology - This glossary contains commonly used terms to name and describe rocks and minerals.
- The California Geotour - An index of geological field trip web sites and downloadables we've compiled for all who wonder about California's geologic features.
- Tsunami educational materials and frequently asked questions.
- DOC Educators' Portal - The Department of Conservation's searchable portal provides earth science materials adaptable to California science standards in K-12 education.