An operator who, on or after January 1, 2018, engages in the drilling, redrilling, deepening, maintaining, abandoning, or in any operation permanently altering the casing, of a well, or who acquires a well, shall file with the supervisor an individual indemnity bond for each well so drilled, redrilled, deepened, maintained, abandoned, or permanently altered, or acquired in the following amount:
- $25,000 for each well that is less than 10,000 feet deep.
- $40,000 for each well that is 10,000 or more feet deep.
- $100,000 for each Class II commercial wastewater disposal well.
Well operations that require bonding include, but may not be limited to:
- Drill, redrill, or deepen any well.
- Mill out or remove casing or liner.
- Run and cement casing or tubing.
- Run and cement liner or inner liner.
- Perforate casing in a previously unperforated interval for the purpose of production, injection, testing, observation, or cementing.
- Drill out any type of permanent plug.
- Reentry of an abandoned well not having an existing bond.
- Drill and operate a commercial geothermal well, including the plugging and abandonment of such well. Drill a geothermal temperature-gradient well.