October 2, 2018
SACRAMENTO -- The Department of Conservation (DOC) today re-launched
conservation.ca.gov with a new website built to connect users to the wealth of natural resources data and services they use most.
The website relaunch also introduces DOC's new logo. The new logo embodies the unique blend of our divisions' expertise, symbolizes modernization, and emphasizes DOC's core values of earth science, public safety, and environmental protection.
Visitors to the new DOC site will get direct access toty our most requested resources by audience and an overall improved experience navigating the spectrum of information created and maintained by DOC.
The website was developed using customer-centric design following research into which audience groups most often interacted with the old DOC website, how visitors looked for information, and DOC’s goal of making its services more accessible to the public. Content throughout the new site has also been rewritten to make it easier to read and understand.
“The new website opens access to our data and programs, improving the visitor experience and delivery of our services,” said Director David Bunn. “It also supports our principles of demonstrating accountability to ourselves and the public while the new logo simplifies and strengthens our public outreach and engagement.”
The DOC website will continue to improve as information architecture is enhanced, content is added, and user feedback incorporated. Visitors are encouraged to share feedback on the new experience through
this online survey
. Visitor feedback, website analytics, ongoing testing, and an internal cross-divisional steering committee will guide further refinements.
Key website updates include:
Organized information for audience groups
- Quick access via homepage to the top audience groupings of:
- Access audience landing pages from the homepage or the “Information For” dropdown. Audience landing pages feature content curated from across DOC’s five distinct divisions and aggregated specifically for the needs of each group
Improved division landing pages
- A redesigned introduction to each of DOC’s divisions provides a clear division overview and snapshot of resources:
- New color palette and typography signal years of change and the ongoing evolution of DOC and its programs
Enhanced news archive and event listings
- News & announcements, and events from all divisions are rolled up into one location, providing comprehensive DOC-wide insight:
Enhanced multimedia support on all pages
Improved search function
- Keywords or predefined filters help delivery targeted content.
Reduced subsites and pages to connect visitors to information in less clicks
Full color and single color versions of the new DOC logo.