Welcome to the California Geological Survey
In April 1860 the California Legislature established the Geological Survey of California that has evolved during its 150 years of service, and several name changes, into today’s modern California Geological Survey (CGS). Of course, the earliest history of CGS has its founding roots entwined with the discovery of gold in 1848.
CGS is dedicated to the fulfillment of its mission to provide scientific products and services about the state's geology, seismology and mineral resources that affect the health, safety, and business interests of the people of California.
CGS geoscientists, engineers and support staff take great pride in upholding the heritage of an organization that has a 150 year legacy of providing the highest quality of scientific and engineering products and services to the State of California.
Altiora Petimus (1860)
News & Events
- October 16, 2014 at 10:16 A.M. - Get Down! For the Great California ShakeOut! Once again, 9+ million Californians will Drop, Cover, and Hold On! Will you be one of them? Click here for more information.
- October 12-18, 2014 - A world of activities are happening for Earth Science Week! Click here for more information.
- August 18, 2014 - In memory of Rodger Chapman (1925-2014). Rodger established and supervised the CGS Geophysics Program, which contributed greatly to our understanding of the subsurface geology of California. Please click here for a link to Rodger's page.
- July 22, 2014 - The CGS Library will be reopening on August 4th with new hours of operation. The new hours will be Monday through Thursday, 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
- June 30, 2014 - As part of the USGS multi-hazards project in the Long Valley Caldera-Mono Lake area, CGS developed several earthquake scenarios and evaluated ground shaking, surface fault rupture, liquefaction, and landslide hazards associated with these earthquake scenarios. Click here to review or download the report.
- March 23-29, 2014 - National Tsunami Preparedness Week. Click here for more information.
- February 25, 2014 - CGS can now accept electronic submittal of school projects. In addition, the 2013 CBC requires a “Site Data Report” be submitted. Click here to see more information about submitting school projects for CGS review.
- February 14, 2014 - The Fault Evaluation Report for the Hollywood Quadrangle has been released. Click here to vew the report (FER-253); Plate 1; Plate 2; Plate 3.
- January 17, 2014 - Northridge Earthquake 20th Anniversary. Click here for more information.
- January 8, 2014 - CGS is pleased to announce the release of two proposed new and revised Preliminary Alquist-Priolo Earthquake Fault Zone maps. The areas covered are within Los Angeles County. Click here for release statement. Click here to view or download the proposed new and revised maps (Hollywood; Azusa). Click here for the Azusa Fault Evaluation Report (FER-249).
- November 5, 2013 - CGS has partnered with the USGS and the Southern California Earthquake Center in the Working Group for California Earthquake Probabilities to produce the Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast version 3, a new evaluation of the seismic shaking potential in California. The following website provides access to the UCERF3 report and background materials. Click here to view the report.
- September 4, 2013 - CGS has partnered with the USGS Science Application for Risk Reduction (SAFRR) project to evaluate the effects of a statewide tsunami scenario generated by a magnitude 9 earthquake off Alaska. CGS will be participating with other SAFRR partners in a number of statewide workshops over the next several weeks. The following website provides access to the SAFRR project report and the inundation maps.
Click here to view the report and maps.
- July 1, 2013 - CGS has added SMARA Land Classification Maps to the Information Warehouse.
Click to go directly to the Maps!
- CGS's Information Warehouse
CGS has developed a tool that allows you to search ALL of CGS's Regulatory, Landslide, Tsunami and SMARA maps using one interface.
Begin exploring for maps!
- Recent passing of former State Geologist Wesley G. Bruer, 1926-2013
- A New Way to Access CGS Natural Hazard Information
A collaborative web service called MyPlan has been established by the California Emergency Management Agency and the California Natural Resources Agency (CNRA) to provide a “one-stop shop” for local agency access to inter-active map information regarding natural hazards in California at http://myplan.calema.ca.gov/. CGS will continue to provide natural hazard information through its own website in addition to the new service.
- June 30, 2014 - CGS Special Report 233: Scenario Earthquake Hazards for the Long Valley Caldera-Mono Lake Area, East-Central California. The Report is now available for download. Click here to download the pdf.
- April 29, 2014 - California's Non-Fuel Mineral Production for 2012 The Report is now available for download. Click here to download the pdf.
- February 6, 2014 - 2014 CGS Calendar, Geological Gems of California State Parks Click here to download the pdf Click here to order for $1.00
- January 31, 2014 - Radon Potential of the Palos Verdes Area, Callifornia Click here for release statement Click here to download the report and map
- December 10, 2013 - Update of Mineral Land Classification: Aggregate Materials in the North San Francisco Bay Production-Consumption Region, Sonoma, Napa, Marin, and Southwestern Solano Counties, California
Click here for release statement. Click here to download the Report and Maps.
- April 17, 2013 - California's Non-Fuel Mineral Production for 2011
The report is now available for download. Click here to download.
- April 10, 2013 - New Landslide Inventory Maps
Landslide Inventory Map of the Burbank and Hollywood 7.5-minute Quadrangle is now available.
Click here for the Release Statement.Click here to download the maps.
- March 1, 2013 - Map Sheet 52 (UPDATED 2012)
Aggregate Sustainability in California
Click here for the Release Statement.Click here to download the Report and Map.
- January 22, 2013 - Special Report 217 (REVISED)
Geologic Compilation of Quaternary Surficial Deposits in Southern California.
Click here for the Release Statement.Click here to download the Report.
- CGS releases State Geologic Map and State Fault Activity Map.
Printed copies are now available for purchase.
Geologic Map Release Statement.
Fault Activity Map Release Statement.
- Click here for more recent releases!