Downloading Important Farmland Data via the FTP Site
FTP Site Contents
This page links to FMMP's FTP server. GIS data files are posted by year and county in ESRI shape file format, enabling analysis and integration with other geospatial data. A statewide ZIP file by year is also available (e.g. statewide2014). The base data and marginalia used for print publication of the Important Farmland color maps are not available here.
County-specific metadata is also provided, which describes the GIS data attributes. It also explains variations related to base year mapping, survey area additions, and changes affecting Farmland of Local Importance data.
Full size maps for each county, statewide maps at various scales, and regional maps depicting urbanization are also posted on the FTP site in PDF format. These files range from 6-17 Mb in size and are formatted to print on 36" plotters. They support zooming in and printing at more detailed scales.
How to Download Data
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: right click on files individually and select "Save target as." Save all files to the same location. Alternatively, to download multiple files at once, press the "Alt" key and click on "View" at the top of the page and then select "Open FTP site in File Explorer." Now, you will be able to use the "Ctrl" or "Shift" keys and left-click to select multiple files at once and then copy them to a folder.
- Google Chrome: right-click on files individually and select "Save Link As." Save all files to the same location. Do not left-click or the Browser will attempt to open the file, which will be unreadable.
Data Download Problems
You may be unable to download a file from our FTP site if:
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) utilizes a proxy server or a firewall that affects FTP traffic.
Check to see if you are able to download from other popular FTP sites. If not, this may be your limitation. You will need to contact your ISP or network administrator for assistance.
- Your Web browser or FTP download software (WS_FTP, etc) is damaged or configured incorrectly. If you are using Internet Explorer, try toggling off "Enable folder view for FTP sites":
1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Your hard disk does not have enough available space to store the file you want to download. You will need to delete or move files from your hard drive to accommodate the new file.
If the above suggestions do not solve FTP download problems, contact the software manufacturer or your network administrator to diagnose problems. Please contact us if you need a file sent to you in another manner as an interim measure.
Copyright and Usage Restrictions
The following information applies to all of the maps produced by the Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program:
© Department of Conservation, Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program, 1984-2018.
The Department of Conservation makes no warranties as to the suitability of this product for any particular purpose.
Publication and/or use of this information at scales greater than 1:100,000 is considered to be an enlargement.
If you publish the Important Farmland data in any form, please cite the Program! Thank you again for your interest.
Continue to the FTP site
Downloading Data via the FTP Site (FTP Read me) Links