Menu
Contact Us Search
Organization Title
Farmland Mapping and Monitoring Program
1984 to 2008 TIME SERIES
Corona, Riverside County 

Land use change in the Corona area, Riverside County, 1984-2008.

In this Image

Changes in this area primarily include conversions from irrigated farmland (green), dryland or idle farmland (yellow) and other land (grey) to urban (red) during this period. Information on these changes was gathered from air photos, local comments, and field reconnaissance.  Area shown is approximately 6.7 miles east-west and 6.2 miles north-south.

The Inland Empire counties of Riverside and San Bernardino have been among the 'Top Ten Urbanizing Counties' as mapped by FMMP during every update cycle since mapping began in 1984.  Riverside has been the number one urbanizing county in all updates except 1990-92.  

A brief history of Corona

Corona is located in Riverside County, approximately 45 miles southeast of Los Angeles. The community is situated at the base of the Cleveland National Forest on an alluvial plain leading down to the Santa Ana River. The population has grown 288% between 1980 and 2008 (from 37,791 to 146,698). One of Corona's interesting features is the circular Grand Boulevard where international road racing events took place in the early years of the automobile.

Corona was known as the "Lemon Capital of the World", and by 1913 it shipped more fruit than any other town in Southern California. The first lemon processing plant in the country was built there in 1915. Lemon products included citric acid, lemon oil, lemon juice and pectin. In 1961 citrus was still considered the backbone of Corona's economy, and the largest source of revenue. In that year citrus covered 7,500 acres. By 1982, as citrus began to be replaced by other uses, the Corona Sunkist plant was closed. 

Dairy, another major agricultural commodity in the region, continued, as one of the largest cheese making operations in the world opened in 1985 on the site of the Desi Arnaz horse ranch.  This plant closed in 2007 as urbanization pressure shifted the industry northward into the San Joaquin Valley.